An odd old saying

There is an old tripartite saying that sticks in my mind -- mainly because I don't understand the second part, I think. It was said to be fatherly advice given by a British aristocrat to his son:

1. Never drink port after champagne.

2. Never hunt south of the Thames

3. Never give your lady one in the morning. You never know what might come up during the day.

I would be interested if anybody knows other versions of that advice and if anybody knows who first uttered it. I remember reading it long ago in a book but have quite forgotten which one.

Posted by John Ray (M.A.; Ph.D.). For a daily critique of Leftist activities, see DISSECTING LEFTISM. To keep up with attacks on free speech see TONGUE-TIED. Also, don't forget your daily roundup of pro-environment but anti-Greenie news and commentary at GREENIE WATCH . Email me here

1 comment:

  1. I believe the quote comes from Laurence Olivier, probably in an interview. He claims it was the advice given to a Welsh Guards officer of his acquaintance on the young man´s 21st birthday. The reference to hunting south of the Thames is probably based on the fact that there are no great foxhunts in the south of England.

    ReplyDelete

All comments containing Chinese characters will not be published as I do not understand them