Notes from an exile:


(photo taken near Roebourne, WA)

I used to read about ancient Romans and Chinese being sentenced to exile as a punishment and thought that the perp got off lightly.

Like hell. This green and pleasant land I'm living in is postcard-pretty, relatively safe (if one ignores the crime stats) and comfortable enough. But exile is a nagging, sad reality that has a surprising power to drain the colour and excitement from life, every day.

Just like I imagine a geriatric home must be, without the vicious nurses and chicken broth.

I miss the heat and the floods, the wild tropical storms and the wildlife of Australia, the Aussie bluntness and honesty. If I had to sum up New Zealand, it'd be "Cuba with dairy products".

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments containing Chinese characters will not be published as I do not understand them